No cream cream of mushroom soup
Very simple, quick and tasty. The addition of buckwheat flour really thickens this soup and gives it a velvety, creamy texture. With no cows required!
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp frying oil
- 1 courgette, roughly chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup cold water
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and gently fry the onion until it starts to soften.
- Add the garlic and gently cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the mushrooms and courgette and cook until the mushroom juices run and it smells really mushroomy – probably about 10 minutes over a low/moderate heat.
- Add the stock and simmer very gently for about 5 mins.
- Allow to cool and then blend in a blender until it’s the texture you like.
- Put back into the pot and onto the heat, at a very low temperature.
- Whizz the buckwheat flour and cold water in the blender until smooth.
- Slowly add the buckwheat mixture to the soup, stirring all the time.
- Heat through then add seasoning to taste. I like mine with loads of freshly ground black pepper. A bit of parsley would be nice too.